Video surveillance at the remote facility over WiFi
There are cases when the technical conditions of facility do not allow to organize a cable network.
The reasons may include:
1. a large length of the facility, which causes high costs for cable lines;
2. inability to lay cables due to infrastructure features of the facility;
3. mobility of the equipped facility;
4. customer’s desire to organize a wireless network.
To solve all these problems, we use TFortis equipment that supports connection with a Wi-Fi access point.
The connection of a remote object, for which it is necessary to conduct video surveillance, with a surveillance point can be organized using a Wi-Fi bridge according to the following scheme:
Figure. Organization of WiFi surveillance with TFortis equipment.
Let’s consider the main components of this scheme:
1. PSW-1-45-WiFi switch can connect 4 IP-video cameras powered by PoE and Wi-Fi access point. The access point is also powered by the PSW-1-45-WiFi switch. For this purpose the switch has a port with Passive PoE 24V that allows connecting the access point directly without adapters.
2. Two Wi-Fi access points that are used in bridge mode.
There is a wide range of access points on the market. You can choose an access point based on several parameters, which we will discuss below.
* Frequency range of operation.
WiFi has two basic frequency ranges: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The range of 2.4GHz is wider, but it should be taken into account noise pollution influences to this range in the city. Therefore inside the city it is recommended to use the 5GHz range, and outside the city - 2.4GHz.
Access points can operate over different distances: 5, 10, 15 km, etc. The distance is specified for the line of sight. If there are barriers (houses, trees, etc.) in the path of the signal, the distance will decrease.
* Power supply.
Access points can have different power: 12V, Passive PoE 12V, Passive PoE 24V, etc. For joint operation with the PSW-1-45-WiFi, you have to select those with Passive PoE 24V power supply.
By the ratio of price and quality, and based on personal experience, we recommend using the following models:
Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 2.4 GHz 5 km 150Mbps
Ubiquiti Nanostation M2 2.4 GHz 13 km 150Mbps
Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5 5 GHz 10 km 150Mbps
Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 5 GHz 15 km 150Mbps